After finding myself itching to play a little bit of Hellgate each night I was in the beta, I decided to got ahead and pick up the retail version. Here are some thoughts after about four hours of play.
- Animations still not great, but things do seem a much smoother than before.
- Needed to patch vista before I could even play on that machine. Ouch.
- A couple of out of memory crashes in XP, and a buddy I played with apparently crashed a few times
- Terrible chat interface; actually a whole lot of the UI could use some polishing. It is just not user friendly.
- Example: open your chat window then open any other UI window and byebye chat
- Voice chat via X-fire?? Huh?
- Why would a game that has a warning in the manual about running background apps require me to RUN a background app. Is built in peer to peer voice chat that hard? (it may be)
- Apparently NO skill respecs:
- In this day of game design, not allowing your customer to fix a perceived mistake they might have made but instead ask them to reroll a new character is just un-fun.
- Then to charge for extra character slots makes you come off as greedy.
- I am willing to pay for a subscription if you give me something for my money every month; content, server support, etc. and right now I do not see a value in a hellgate subscription,
- actually do not believe any game studio can produce enough content every month to make a subscription worth it. They want to call this an MMO, but I do not see where they need my money to operate each month.
- There are really no massive mixed player areas it feels like guild wars
- I think they should ditch the subscription fee and switch to micro/macro payment system.
- Buy the content they release that you want. Want more character slot, ok ~$1 each, bigger vault $5. New raid zone and character class, $20.
What I like:
- Simple additive game play
- Game overall looks pretty.
- Fighting lots of Mobs, could use more but itâ€™s still early in the game. Heck at one point Marcin and I were fighting two named mobs and several minions it was crazy.
- Lots of loot and you only see your loot, no ninja looting 🙂
- Classes seem to play different enough that I needed to spend a little bit of time trying to learn how to be effective with a new class. I like this.
- Seems completely soloable, but grouping of course added to the game play (as most games do)
I rolled up an Evoker, since I wanted to play a class I had not tried in beta, and itâ€™s an interesting class. I am still learning how to be the most effective since it plays a lot different from the marksman and guardian. I was actually feeling a bit under powered.
Then this morning I found an interesting combination of weapons, a laser pistol and focus item, which have a great synergy. That along with more, effectively using the evoker weapon sets and now I feel much stronger.
Overall I am looking forward to playing and grouping again.
While this game is now dead, and as much as people disparaged this game (and it desvered most of the comments) it did have a few good bits and I had fun with it for a month or so.